All of these can reduce anxiety:
- Sensory aids
- Reducing sensory input
- USE of a picture schedule (notice that “use” is emphasized? They cannot just exist; they have to actually be used.)
- Timers (If a certain time is aversive to your student, try another kind. Find one that isn’t.)
- Reinforers and postiive reinforcemnt used with fidelty- be it a token economy of otherwise
- Introducing/frontloading items/events/objects/people that the child will see later to mentally prepare the child for events
- Using less language – In an anxious state, it’s even more difficult to comprehend language.